How can file sharing sites compromise your sensitive data?
Ever thought about how if it weren’t for the internet, we’d be so lost today. Just consider the volume of data transferred over the internet daily and how much work gets done thanks to the digital explosion. Every time a web page loads, you upload a file or check your email, you’re making a digital data transaction. However, it can still sometimes be a challenge to find the right file sharing tool, which is rapid, secure, and can handle large volumes.
Evaluate the risks of file-sharing sites
Over the years, WeTransfer has emerged as a preferred go-to solution, among others, for people looking to make a large file transfer. The website is fairly easy to manage. All one needs to do is add files (or folders), enter the sender’s and recipient’s email address, add a small message (optional), and click on Transfer. It is as simple as that. You can send up to 2GB if using the standard solution, and going for WeTransfer Pro allows you to transfer up to 20GB.
You can transfer the files via email or use a transfer link. However, neither of these options offers you much in the way of security. There is no need to create an account, enter any credit card information, and no email verification is carried out either. While this might work for a one-time user, it presents several security concerns for professionals and organizations.
Moreover, WeTransfer is not compliant with several industry data security standards and directives. This is a security risk for company owners and businesses that share sensitive and often confidential information via this platform.
Is there a WeTransfer alternative? Before we look at that, let’s talk about the many ways that a file share platform can compromise your sensitive data.
Do file share platforms really present a security threat?
The internet is not really a safe place for confidential data. And if file sharing is not done through secure channels, there could be severe repercussions.
- Sensitive data revealed: File-sharing platforms, intentionally or unintentionally, can jeopardize sensitive data. If an unauthorized person gets access to your file-sharing service, you cannot really say how far your private information has been compromised.
- Susceptibility to attacks: Does your current file-sharing software require you to sidestep firewalls to upload or download files? In that case, you may be vulnerable to attackers who can perform various cyber-attacks against your system.
- Installation of malicious software: Lastly, employees risk bringing in malware, such as viruses, worms, spyware, or Trojan horses, on their computer and infecting the entire network.
Can you be sure your file-sharing platform is secure?
Before you trust a file-sharing platform with your sensitive data, check how it stores and secures your data. Of course, you need to do your own research, but here are some points to get you started:
- End-to-end encryption: This feature will protect you from external hackers and prevent the hosting site itself from viewing your data.
- Double-check permission settings: This prevents just about anybody with the right link from accessing your files.
- Password protection: A high-end password protection between both parties can go a long way in securing your data.
- Authentication and authorization: Look for additional security levels for mobile devices.
Have you given any thought to DAM?
Digital Asset Management, or DAM, as it is known in the industry, is a secure and efficient way to store, manage, organize, and share digital assets securely and efficiently with select users. When you rely on the right DAM platform, you can ensure that only those users with permission can access the assets.
Additionally, since the platform stores and organizes files, you can manage and retrieve your digital assets whenever you need them. With DAM, you get complete control over your digital assets right from when they are created and through their entire lifecycle. The right DAM allows your business to save time, effort, and resources to search, retrieve and share assets in a secure and structured manner.
Scatter Content Box understands security
Many businesses and brands trust Scatter Content Box with their sensitive data. Besides being an asset management software that offers complete digital asset management, the platform ensures the highest levels of security through myriad layers.
At Scatter, we understand that not everyone needs to see everything. With our Secure Access feature, you can define access privileges on the files and folders that you upload. While other team members can make requests to access files, it is up to the assigned admin of the platform to accept or reject requests.
Some of the aspects of Secure Access include
- IAM user: To prevent any security breach, only the IAM user has all the necessary permissions to access the files.
- Two-factor authentications: The account admin can enable two-factor authentication. However, this will work only if the user has a valid phone number on the profile page.
- External link expiry: Any links shared outside the authorized team have a maximum limit of 365 days, and they can be shortened to 24 hours.
Why wait until you learn about compromised data the hard way? With the right DAM, you can avoid the risks involved with file sharing.