Top Online Courses for Writers and Graphic Designers
By enrolling in online courses, you have the advantage of learning from some of the most names in the business, often at your own pace and convenience. Such courses give you the right approach when developing a new skill and help you discover new talents. If you are an experienced writer or designer, these courses can polish your expertise and stay abreast of the latest developments in the field. We all know how content marketing is changing the game, requiring writers and designers to upgrade their skills constantly. Here are some of the top designing and writing online courses for you to explore and choose from:
1. Masterclass – Masterclass has one of the most prolific line-ups of professionals who impart quality lessons on writing skills. If you want to learn from Salman Rushdie about narrative storytelling or learn how to write thrillers from Dan Brown, an annual membership with Masterclass is what you should be investing in. Priced at Rs 1295.83 per month, you can learn from these audio-only lessons on your desktop, phone, or TV. Lessons also include TV writing, humour, screenwriting, dramatic writing, poetry, and many more.
2. The Novelry – Courses offered by The Novelry are designed to make authors out of writers. The focus of these online courses is to help you in penning down a novel. Seen as a finishing school for aspiring novelists, The Novelry is a highly rated platform created and directed by Booker Prize long-listed author Louise Dean. Its “The Book in a Year” plan is priced at $1999 and all the Novelry courses are available worldwide in all currencies. Other courses include “The Classic Course”, “The Ninety Day Novel”, “Children’s Fiction”, “The Big Edit” and “Memoir Course” – all of which are named to depict their precise purpose.
3. CreativeLive – Currently offering 39 different writing classes, CreativeLive covers a wide range of necessities that you may aspire as a writer. Be it storytelling, scene narrative, writing e-books, memoirs, emails, newsletters, or bios; you will find various online writing courses on CreativeLive. Their online courses are quite narrowed down and perhaps, therefore, affordably priced. The “Storytelling for Business” course, for instance, is priced at $17 only. Courses also address subjects like overcoming writer’s block, developing a creative mindset, creating engaging content etc.
4. The Complete Graphic Design Theory for Beginners Course by Udemy – Udemy is a massive warehouse of online courses, including an ideal graphic design theory course for beginners. This course is offered at a pre-discount price of Rs 3,520 and has lifetime access to 8.5 hours of on-demand video, ten downloadable resources, and an article. In this certification course, you learn about colour theory, composition and interaction with graphic design elements, logo designing and branding, typography theory, layout, UI and UX designs, and more. It covers the use of essential tools like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign as well.
5. Skillshare Graphic Design Courses – At SkillShare you can choose from a wide selection of Graphic Design online courses. Its courses cover specific graphic design skills that you need to learn. These courses offer you expertise in 3D modelling, illustration images, typography, creative, logo design, vector graphics, etc., and practical knowledge about tools like Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Aero. SkillShare offers a SkillShare Premium package and separate Team Plans for groups and organizations. These packages come with a free trial period. Besides, there are a host of free online courses like the “Graphic Design Basics: Core Principles for Visual Design” course, which will only take 36 minutes of your time.
6. Copyschool – Copyschool promises to offer the most purpose-driven online course available for copywriters. It has seven different copy training programmes priced between $497 and $1997 each. It has over 500 training videos and an array of checklists, copywriting examples and workbooks, tutorials, and boot camps. These online courses help copywriters, growth marketers, and entrepreneurs to create compelling copies.
7. Graphic Design Specialization by Coursera – In a series of five courses, this programme teaches you the fundamentals of graphic design, its history, typography, image-making, and branding. With this certification programme, you can get rid of the problem of bad copy forever. It is priced at $49 per month, while a Coursera Plus subscription comes for $499 per annum. It offers financial aid for interested learners and offers free reading and viewing of course content.
Whether it is to learn a new skill or enhance your repertoire of skill sets, online courses are a convenient and often affordable way of honing your skills. We hope that with these courses, you will be able to add more value to your work and be a prized asset for content creation companies and corporates.
Contributors: Sadaf Zarreen, Sanchea D’Souza and Swapnil Adsul